Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question not answered in our FAQ? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residents of Canada, including full-time students in any Canadian institution, who study an orchestral instrument and are between the ages of 16 and 28 years old on July 1st, 2020 can apply. (International applicants please also read our International Students FAQ).
NYO Canada only accepts video recordings as a means of auditioning, with the exception of the Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize application.
Auditions are approximately fifteen minutes long and usually consist of a solo lasting 2 to 4 minutes, a variety of orchestral excerpts and possibly some scales. Please see the Audition Repertoire page for specific requirements for your instrument. Annual entry into the Orchestra is based on the results of these auditions.
The essential requirement for securing a position in the NYO Canada is an excellent performance. Consideration may also be given to development in relation to age, experience, musical leadership and potential for becoming a professional orchestral musician. The NYO Canada reserves the right to refuse any application.
There is a set list of audition repertoire required for each instrument, usually consisting of a solo, orchestral excerpts, and scales. The list and music for each instrument is available to download on the NYO Canada website. Click here to access the audition repertoire. Please read the list carefully and be sure to note when scales are required in addition to the excerpts posted. All solos must be played without accompaniment. All audition material should be played in the order listed. It is strongly suggested that you obtain recordings of the orchestral repertoire so you have an idea of the tempo and context of the excerpt.
Instrumentalists who wish to be considered for the Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize should click here for details.
After you have applied, you will receive an APPLICATION ID by email within a week as confirmation. Please set your spam filters accordingly to receive emails from nyoc.org and email@example.com, especially if you use hotmail.
You need to video record your audition and upload it to YouTube with the APPLICATION ID as the title of your YouTube video (please see Video Audition page for detailed information). The video upload deadline is February 1st, 2020.
The application fee schedule deadlines for the 2020 TD National Auditions:
- Early Bird ($50) October 1st – 6th 2019
- Regular ($75) October 7th – 31st 2019
- Final Fee ($100) November 1st – December 27th 2019
- Late Fee ($200) December 28th – February 1st 2020 (No Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize application will be considered after December 28th, 2019.)
**Please note all fees must be paid on or before each deadline for the corresponding price bracket. Fees to be paid in CAD online with VISA or MASTERCARD.
NYO Canada reserves the right to refuse any application.
The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
First, you need to email us the URL (or link) of your YouTube video before February 1st 2020. We will test your video to make sure the URL works and confirm with you by email. If you do not get this confirmation from us within a week after you uploaded your video, please contact us by phone at 1-888-532-4470.
In case of technical problems with your video you will be asked to upload it again prior to the deadline. Please provide yourself enough time in case we encounter any upload and playback issues, as this will allow us to assist you if needed.
Shortly after the 2020 TD National Auditions process has been completed (usually in early to mid-March) candidates will be advised as to which category they have been classified:
(a) those who have secured places in the NYO Canada orchestral and chamber program;
- All recipients, except the Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize and Award of Excellence winners, will receive a $1,200 Achievement Award upon successful completion of program
- Ten recipients will receive a $5,000 Award of Excellence. Click here for more details;
(b) those still under consideration for places as alternates in NYO Canada;
(c) those who have not been selected for the 2020 Orchestra.
We are pleased to announce that we have eliminated tuition fees for the 2020 session. All members, except the Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize and Award of Excellence winners, will receive a $1,200 Achievement Award in Fall 2020 after successful completion of the program. All training costs, food, and housing at the training location, as well as travel and accommodation during the tour, will be paid for. Students will be responsible for the following costs:
- $300 deposit upon successful fulfillment of the student contract and adherence to the NYO Canada Discipline Code Agreement. $200 of the deposit will be refunded after the session; subject to deductions in the event of property damage, lost/stolen keys, key deposits, or other expenses incurred by NYO Canada on behalf of the student;
- Travel costs for yourself and your instrument to the session and at the end of the tour;
- Food costs during the tour: we suggest budgeting $40 a day for food and incidentals.
Awards and Honourariums
All 2020 members, except the Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize and Award of Excellence winners, will receive a $1,200 Achievement Award in Fall 2020 upon successful completion of the NYO Canada program.
NYO Canada Award of Excellence
NYO Canada will award ten orchestra members an Award of Excellence valued at $5,000.
Students will need to prepare the regular audition repertoire as well as any additional excerpts indicated in the audition packet.
If you would like to be considered for an Award of Excellence, you must indicate this on the application form. At the end of the application process, you will be prompted to submit the following:
- Music Resumé (2 pages maximum) with your name and instrument at the top of the page;
- A paragraph detailing the following with your name and instrument at the top of the page: Describe your musical goals and how NYO Canada’s training program will help you to achieve these goals.
Please combine these materials into one pdf file before you start your application online. Save the pdf file with the following title format: Full_Name.pdf
- Example of your pdf document name: John_Doe.pdf
Award of Excellence recipients will be notified upon their acceptance in the Orchestra. Awards will be dispersed in the fall of 2019 upon successful completion of the NYO Canada program.
Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize
Instrumentalists who would like to be considered for the Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize should click here.
If it is preapproved by your school, exams can be written at the NYO Canada training session. Please make arrangements with your school immediately after you have been accepted in NYO Canada, as this process can take several weeks.