Frequently Asked Questions
Have a question not answered in our FAQ? Please email email@example.com.
Residents of Canada, including full-time students in any Canadian institution, who study an orchestral instrument and are between the ages of 16 and 28 years old on July 1st, 2024 can apply. (International applicants please contact Chris Lamont at firstname.lastname@example.org for eligibility).
Auditions are approximately fifteen minutes long and usually consist of a solo lasting 2 to 4 minutes, a variety of orchestral excerpts, and scales. Please see the Audition Repertoire page for specific requirements for your instrument. Annual entry into the Orchestra is based on the results of these auditions.
NYO Canada only accepts video recordings as a means of auditioning.
After you have applied,
- Upload your audition video to YouTube and enter your Application ID as the title i.e. G1A123
- Set the video visibility to “Unlisted”
- Submit your video URL via the Upload My Audition form.
The video upload deadline is February 1st, 2024.
- Early Bird ($50) October 1st, 2023
- Regular ($75) October 2nd – November 30th, 2023
- Final Fee ($100) December 1st, 2023 – February 1st, 2024
**Please note all fees must be paid on or before each deadline for the corresponding price bracket. Fees to be paid in CAD online with VISA or MASTERCARD.
NYO Canada reserves the right to refuse any application.
The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- First, you need to upload your audition video by February 1st 2024. We will test your video to make sure the URL works and confirm with you by email. If you do not get this confirmation from us within a week after you uploaded your video, please contact us by phone at 1-416-532-4470.In case of technical problems with your video, you will be asked to upload it again prior to the deadline. Please provide yourself enough time in case we encounter any upload and playback issues, as this will allow us to assist you if needed.
Shortly after the auditions process has been completed (usually in early to mid-March) candidates will be advised as to which category they have been classified:
- those who have secured places in the NYO Canada;
- those still under consideration for places as alternates in NYO Canada;
- those who have not been selected for the Orchestra.
We are pleased to announce that we have eliminated tuition fees for NYO 2024. All members, except the Canada Council for the Arts Michael Measures Prize and Award of Excellence winners, will receive a $1,500 Achievement Award in Fall 2024 after successful completion of the program.
All training costs, food, and housing at the training location, as well as travel and accommodation during a tour, will be paid for. Students will be responsible for the following costs:
- Travel costs for yourself and your instrument to the session and at the end of the tour;
- Food costs during the tour: we suggest budgeting $75 a day for food and incidentals.