Naomi Dumas, QC
Naomi Dumas, QC
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I'm note sure what was going on in my little four year old brain, honestly. My parents wanted to sign me up for music lessons and asked me which instrument I wanted to learn; the only one that came to my mind was the violin. Baroque music was (and still is) the music of choice around the house and I especially enjoyed Vivaldi's four seasons. I would listen to the Winter's Largo on repeat, and dreamed of playing it one day.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
I am aiming to perform as part of a symphony or chamber orchestra, be it specialized in romantic, classical or baroque repertoire. I would also like to teach privately either at home or in a music institution. However, at this point, I am open to exploring other paths in terms of career choice, whether in the music field or not.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I enjoy spending time in God's word (the Bible) and attending Sunday morning services at church and weekly Bible studies. Otherwise, when I'm not at school practicing or rehearsing, you'll find me in a coffee shop with friends, taking a stroll on Mont Royal, swimming at the McGill pool, shopping in a thrift store, or stuffing my face with brownies at Juliette et Chocolat...
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
This one is tough...I'd have to go with Rachel Podger.
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
It's been a while, but I've always only had good memories from my summers at NYO! I'll never forget our last performance of Mahler 9 during the 2013 tour to Vancouver, when all violinists gathered backstage for a little "warm-up" before the concert, which turned out to be more of a hugging/crying/bonding session; I felt incredibly lucky to be part of such an amazing group!
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
When I had to decide on a degree for my undergraduate studies, I couldn't see myself doing anything else as a lifetime career than being a classical musician. I've been seeking to re-live moments of intense joy only music has made me experience. One of these moments occurred at the Spring concert of my youth orchestra (Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies) when I performed Hoslst's Jupiter from the Planets along with 400 other musicians... Since then, I've had numerous doubts and questionings, but doors have kept opening to new opportunities, which I gladly took. Through all, my ultimate aim remains to follow God's will for my life and music is a means for me to glorify Him (Isaiah 38:20).
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
Keeping the motivation, and being realistic in the perception of my abilities as a musician. I am aware that such a career is hard to get. Orchestra jobs are few and highly sought for; there is much competition in the field.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
For many reasons; my teacher encouraged me to participate as she is herself is an NYO alumni.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
NYO offers an in-depth and complete training in orchestral performance, taught and directed by some of the best musicians of our country. Through the intensive rehearsal and practice, I am hoping to improve on my technique, listening skills and chamber music making. I am also looking forward to working with other musicians from across Canada and making new friends, to lose sight of the competitiveness, and find the fun in music-making again. On a more personal level, I am hoping to build confidence, not only in my playing but also as a person, and perhaps develop new leadership skills. Finally, as many NYO alumni have later obtained professional jobs as members of top orchestras across North America (and the world), I consider the program as an essential stepping stone for any musician like me looking yo pursue a career in music.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
Yes; Scotia Festival of Music and Tafelmusik Summer Baroque Institute
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I would probably take lessons in Montreal and enjoy the festivals there, and take an extended visit to my parent's place in Charlottetown, PEI.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
Pride is a big word; I would say I feel blessed to have been able to perform in a masterclass with baroque violinist Elisa Citterio in Toronto this past Fall. It was a great learning experience and I was happy with my performance .
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
McGill Graduate Excellence Award
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Award for 4th place in the Virtuose II category of the Festival de Musique du Royaume in Saguenay
What made you decide to pursue classical music? / Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?