Christopher Kostyshyn, SK
Christopher Kostyshyn, SK
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
Strangely enough, I discovered the bassoon through an Encyclopædia Britannica CD-ROM set my mother purchased. The bassoon was the only musical instrument that had a full entry with sound excerpts, and I remember thinking how unusual it was. Fast forward to grade 8, I asked my band teacher if our school had a bassoon, and she quickly denied that our school had a bassoon. I asked the other band director at the school, and he pulled out not one, but two bassoons. I wasn't a natural, but I was captivated enough to somehow still be playing.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My professional goals are mostly centred on having a varied career. I would love to be able to perform both on modern and historical bassoons, as well as having an active private studio, as I believe that the kind of highly analytic troubleshooting used by private teachers transfers so well to developing our own technique.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
Some of my other hobbies are baking (especially cheesecakes), climbing out of bronze, holding the door, crying at Game of Thrones, and reed-making by necessity.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Robert de Visée's Pièces de théorbe et de luth, Suite "La Royale"
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Jean Françaix Divertissement
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I think that music naturally combines my desire to perform, which came from my past in Ukrainian dance, and my dedication to detail, which comes from a highly opinionated nature. I think that this combination of two important aspects in my life makes music my clearest path, because it is a way that I can hopefully serve a public through performance. Maybe naïveté, as well.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
I think any young bassoonists (and any orchestral instrumentalists) largest challenge is simply the competitive nature of our career. While I cannot be bitter about this, the incredible level of the other bassoonists who are also looking to make a career in music makes for fierce competition in a relatively shallow job pool. In the end, while we are striving to be better versions of ourselves, we really are being compared to others in audition settings, and it is completely reasonable that we are.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Studying with the fantastic faculty (and travelling is a nice perk!)
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
The combination of other driven and talented musicians, along with knowledgeable faculty, seems like the perfect storm for musical growth, and I have seen the evidence of this in many colleagues who have participated in NYO Canada in the past.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
Luckily, all of my other applications were due after I received my acceptance from NYO Canada.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I would probably be doing programs on baroque bassoon, as well as enjoying all of the exciting recreational opportunities that can be found in rural Saskatchewan.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
I've never been large on reflection of past achievements, but I think I am most proud of not having a stroke during my final excerpt exam at McGill.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Graduate Excellence Fellowship