Zachary Levin, NS
Zachary Levin, NS
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
I began on the violin at age 4, then started playing viola at age 11 while continuing to study violin.
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
Truthfully, when I first played the viola, I instantly fell in love with the instrument just as much as the violin. I kept hearing from other musicians at the Stanford University Suzuki Institute that people are always looking for a violist, and that it helps with my violin technique to practice violin material on the viola.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My goal is to be the principal viola player in a large professional orchestra such as the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. Additionally, I want to perform and record in chamber music settings with the incredible friends and musicians that I’ve met through NYO Canada. My dream is to Master the great concertos on the violin, while mastering the viola. If I can participate in a Jazz ensemble/big band as well that would be sensational!
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I love dogs! I've lived with a dog my whole life. In sports, I used to play baseball very competitively and even wanted to play professionally in the MLB. Throughout high school I was very involved in volleyball as well When I have free time I frequently play Super Smash Bros. Melee and am very passionate about its competitive scene. I also love exploring the outdoors, taking photographs, and cooking up fun dishes!
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
Yes - when I have the time!
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
Both James Ehnes and Andrew Dawes.
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Maybe Britten's second String Quartet in C Major or Mahler's first Symphony...so many more as well!
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
The Walton Viola Concerto.
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
Routinely ordering pizza at 2 AM from Pizza Maniac with some of my best friends in the world will always be something I cherish from NYO Canada. However, there a a LOT of other amazing memories that can't fit on this page :)
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
No matter where I am in the world, and no matter what languages people speak on other continents, I will be able to connect with foreign people through the language of music. I also get immeasurable joy and happiness from enjoying and playing music with my friends and colleagues, and sharing my passion with other people both within and outside the music community.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
Not over-committing myself!
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Touring with the NYO Canada is the ultimate orchestral experience for aspiring musicians. :)
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
Being able to rehearse and perform with countless other musicians who totally love music will be an incredible experience. I also think that this intensive of an orchestral program will undoubtedly hone my skills as an ensemble player.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
Yes - the Scotia Festival of Music in Halifax, NS.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Lot's of practicing, along with relaxing and spending time with my family and friends.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
Being accepted for the first time into NYO Canada back in 2014!
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
The Fountain School of Performing Arts Scholarship; an academic Dalhousie Entrance Scholarship,
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Summer Program Funding Award from Dalhousie University; Richardson Scotia Festival Scholarship