Samuel Rouleau, ON
Samuel Rouleau, ON
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I was originally drawn to double reed instruments by the oboe, but there were no openings for oboe at my school, so I decided to try bassoon and fell in love right away. I had been playing clarinet for 5 years before I decided I wanted to play bassoon, so it was the bassoon's lower register and it's dark, rich sound that charmed me most (and away from clarinet squeaks)!
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
I would really love to be part of a touring wind quintet because I playing chamber music, the quintet dynamic and travelling! I would equally love to play with a professional orchestra because there is SO much amazing repertoire to be played, and I love the infinite colours, textures and sounds an orchestra can produce, and I want to be a part of that!
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I love to hang out with my friends, learn new languages, go for walks/hikes on nice days, watch some Netflix, and of course travel whenever I can! I also make a lot of reeds..
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
I do not
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
SUCH a hard question! But if I had to choose I'd say Stravinsky!
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Rite of Spring (not just for the bassoon solo!)
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Jolivet Bassoon Concerto
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I think it was when I started playing piano, the first piece I learned was Für Elise, and that really inspired me to dig further into the classical music world. What I found (that there is sooo much) inspired me so much that I had to pursue classical music. When I started on bassoon, I knew very soon after that I wanted to continue studying bassoon! I don't regret it yet...
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
My constant struggle has always been reeds. I'm always getting better, but there is also always something to improve. Without consistent reeds, it is hard to play consistently and always sound the way I want to sound, but it is a constant learning process!
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Every NYOC concert I've been to has inspired me more and more to apply!
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
I feel that NYOC will benefit me in many ways. I will have the chance to perform amazing repertoire with amazing peers all around Canada, I will learn so much from the great coaches in both the chamber music program and the orchestral program, and I will enjoy a summer filled with music, friends (old and new) and fun! Wooooo!
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I would most probably be practicing a lot, working a lot, and wishing I was touring with the NYOC a lot!
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
My proudest moment of my music career so far is for sure being accepted to NYOC 2015! I have dreamed of being part of this orchestra for years now, and now that it is coming true, I can't be more excited for this amazing, enriching experience!
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Schulich School of Music Scholarship, J W McConnell Scholarship (McGill), Ottawa Chamberfest Rising Stars Scholarship, Bourse du Prix d'Excellence Artistique
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Prix d'Excellence Artistique 2014 (É.S.P. De La Salle)