Deanna Choi, ON
Deanna Choi, ON
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I'm assuming that my five-year-old self heard the expression, "I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato", and took it from there.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
Alchemist. Failing that, an ice cream taste-tester. In all seriousness though, I hope to pursue clinical psychology to work with musicians and other artists suffering from performance anxiety, trauma, and other debilitating conditions.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
Theatre, sound design for theatre, music cognition and neuroscience research, improving the state of mental health in youth, jazz music, swing dancing, carrot cake, elephants, Game of Thrones, The New Yorker, Margaret Atwood, running.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
Yes, but mostly for theatre. I have composed scores for 3 shows to date, and written solo pieces for numerous others.
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
James Ehnes, Martha Argerich, Janos Starker, Sumi Jo, Gustavo Dudamel
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
'Mack The Knife' by Ella Fitzgerald
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Barber, Mozart 5, Korngold, Mozetich, Prokofiev 1
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
Getting smacked in the head by a rogue Frisbee, courtesy of Thomas Beard. He was the nicest person to me after that incident.
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
Why do the geese migrate back to Canada in the spring? The same reason.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
There are so many- not just for myself, but many young artists. Everything from current attitudes towards classical music, lack of funding, mental health issues, to the lack of jobs in the industry. We are in desperate need of a demographic shift in the way people view music and the arts - not only as a consumer product, but as a shared cultural experience. What makes an audience member WANT to connect? What will make them step away from their iPhones for even 30 minutes, and sit still for a concert? How can we make music more accessible to people who perceive music differently - people with full or partial deafness, with autism, with disabilities? The 19th century symphony subscription model is no longer the norm, so artists have to become more creative in selling themselves and making careers. It's a business skill as well as an art form. I believe that more artists need to start thinking interdisciplinary collaboration, learning from other genres and other cultures. How can we bring in more direction, composition, and management from women, to change classical music's male-dominated narrative? It's the only way to survive, the only way forward. These are huge questions with no easy answers. But of course you already knew that.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Chuck Norris told me to.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
My first tour with NYOC was back in 2010. There were a lot of opportunities that I didn't fully appreciate at the time. I'm hoping to connect more with the other sections of the orchestra this year, as well as the faculty, to learn more about the state of classical music in Canada and how to improve conditions for musicians.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Probably what Calvin and Hobbes would be doing.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
Composing the entire score for a play, "If We Were Birds", and performing the work with a cast of 14 outstanding actors, dancers, and musicians.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
National Science and Engineering Research Council grant for undergraduate research studies