Carmen Bruno, ON
Carmen Bruno, ON
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I honestly don't remember why I wanted to play the cello so badly. But I do remember my mom forcing me to play the violin for six months and absolutely hating it. I've since made peace with the violin.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
It sounds so vague but I would just like to be able to perform in a professional setting. I really love performing in all kinds of forms. I guess that in the nearer future I would hope to play in an orchestra, but I also really love chamber music and performing in more intimate settings.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
Admittedly, most activities in my life revolve around music, but I do spend a shameful amount of time solving Sudoku puzzles. I'm thinking of quitting Sudoku though. Too much of anything is bad for you.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
Only if I have to.
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
Alive: Truls Mørk. Deceaced: Daniil Shafran
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Schubert's string quartet no. 15 in G, D. 887
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Kabalevsky's cello concerto no. 2 in C, Op. 77
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
Attending a masterclass, and late one night being in my hotel room with some of the more advanced students. Listening to them talk about music made me realize how little I knew about music, and what it meant to be really passionate about something. It peaked my interest and I'm very grateful that since then, my curiosity hasn't desisted.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
The world of arts and culture has been hit pretty hard since the financial crisis. It has always been a competitive environment, but opportunities are fewer and farther between these days and there just aren't enough jobs for everyone, so there's no guarantee that I'll land one of them. However, I do know some people who have been very crafty in creating their own opportunities and I find that very inspiring.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
I've been living outside of Canada for many years now and I really wanted to not only spend a lengthy amount of time there, but to participate in the Canadian musical scene again. I have wanted to do the NYOC for a really long time, I even auditioned when I was 16 (but didn't get in), so I figured it was the perfect thing to do this summer.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
The NYOC has a really good reputation and is supposed to be very extensive. I think I'll learn a lot and gain experience by being there. I'm also really excited to meet the other members of the orchestra and get play with them. I know that the first weeks of the program are spent on chamber music and that's always a lot of fun! I'm also super excited to travel across the country and see some new places. I heard we're going to Vancouver and I've always wanted to go there!
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
I really wanted to do the NYOC this summer so I decided to just focus on that.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I like to stay active during the summers so if I weren't doing the NYOC I would have probably focused on another orchestral program, maybe the YOA or GMJO.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
It's hard to name the proudest moment (I like to think that they are yet to come), but I was very honoured to be able to perform at the Concertgebouw a few years ago.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
I was awarded an award of excellence from the NYOC! Thanks, guys!