01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
My parents forced me to. Every Thursday evening, they would unshackle me from the stand so I could play music theory games in the basement. All joking aside, I was much more interested in making music with a purple dinosaur in the sandbox than a wooden box back then, and I guess I didn't really understand the intricacies of music. But it's one of those things that I've fallen in love with over the years, and I've developed a full appreciation for music - it's one of the only things that can provoke an emotional response in me.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
I have no clue what I'm going to do with my life. I hope to god that changes sometime in the next four years, and although I don't think I'll be pursuing a career in music, I definitely will be keeping music as a valuable hobby for as long as I can. I also want to be the person that makes up these kinds of questions on online forms. It seems fun.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
Describing my music taste is kind of weird. I worship Yeezy, Lamar, Dr.Dre, Eminem, Jay-Z, Nujabes, Frank Ocean, and Pharoahe Monch. And I smash yellow balls across a court with a racquet. I eat lots of things and I also make lots of things that other people eat(if you want lava cakes, hmu). Not willing to give up my dream of being Steph Curry 2.0, I sometimes pick up a basketball from time to time, and I would live in the gym if I could. Knowing my affinity for tree related products, I couldn't think of living without books. Making food is also super enjoyable. Have I said that before? Even counting for the fact that I have my Ph.D in procrastination, I still struggle with it from time to time and - shockingly!- find myself being productive. Many things interest me, but one of the most intriguing things I've experienced is that of trying out mechanical keyboards. They look amazing and annoy everyone around me to no end with my incessant clacking. Little do they know that my master plan is to raise an army of mechanical keyboard fanatics and to clack our way to the top. Everything about the subject of physics interests me, when my grade doesn't depend on it. I enjoy trying to describe our world in terms of mathematical models and physical quantities . So, to wrap it up, my favourite interest is spelled out by the first letter of each paragraph. Aw hell, come on, who doesn't like them?
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time. Either that or this: https://goo.gl/clrNIn
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Britten Violin Concerto
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
Nerf gun wars in the hallways. Bonding until 3am. Mafia until 4am. Throwing up because of bad sushi at 5am. Waking up at 7am for morning runs. All day rehearsals. Taking afternoon naps in the lounges with 5 other people. Collapsing in communal exhaustion. Honestly, everything was the greatest experience - there's no one moment I would characterize as better than any other, cause they're just all that swell. I won't miss the sign-ins though. Hooray for not being a minor anymore!
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
As answered above, I didn't get to choose whether I wanted to pursue it at the beginning, but around when I was 12 years old, I began to listen to musical works as a whole, encompassing themes and ideas rather than just listening to it as a collection of notes, and that's what made it so much more enjoyable to listen to. That, and I wanted to learn how to play the Mario theme on my violin.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be pursuing a career in music, and there are several reasons why. Even though I will be joining NYO Canada for the third year now, I still feel that the music world is too cutthroat and competitive for me to handle. Also, I don't like practicing.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
When I heard that we would be going to Portugal, I knew that I needed to go again.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
This will likely be my last full year of being fully immersed in the musical world. I'd like to develop as a musician as much as I can before time commitments force me to stop. The chamber and orchestral sessions(which I am now familiar with) are enormously helpful for developing our musical sense and improving us technically. Plus, I get to meet cool new people, and we're going to Portugal.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Probably frantically packing and deciding what to bring to university next year, as I will be starting my freshman year in the United States.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
Getting into NYO Canada this year, and immensely enjoying my experiences with NYO Canada for the past two years. Basically, everything to do with NYO.