01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
My parents took me to a performance of a violin concerto when I was three, and I was so moved by the sound that I wanted to learn violin immediately. My parents waited until I was a little older and then started me on lessons two years later.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My dream has always been to tour the world as a soloist. I've started leaning towards orchestral performance over the past few years, but solo performance is still my main professional goal.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I really enjoy playing the piano, attending concerts, and spending time with close friends.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
Either James Ehnes or Hilary Hahn.
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Ravel and Tchaikovsky are my current favourites. Tchaikovsky's 4th and 6th Symphonies, his violin concerto, Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe, and his String Quartet are my current favourites.
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
The Sibelius Violin Concerto.
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
So hard to choose one, as it really was an amazing experience. Musically, performing Daphnis et Chloe in the Winspear Centre in Edmonton was my favourite moment. I also made an amazing group of friends, and we really had the greatest times. One memory that stands out was when we all bought Nerf guns and had battles in the residence. We would also perform string quartets in the elevator, and everyone in the building would get to hear us as we moved up and down the building.
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I've never had a doubt that I should do anything else with my life. Music was always natural and a core part of my being, and this made pursuing it the obvious choice.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
Moving from 99% accuracy to 99.99% accuracy is definitely a challenge for me. It's so hard to stay motivated and focused in the final stages of learning a work, and learning to keep my mind focused on the final product is something I still need work developing.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
So many reasons: we're performing great repertoire, it's an amazing learning experience, close friends are also returning with me, we get to tour Canada, and there are good scholarship opportunities. Not much gets better.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
It will help me to prepare me for a potential orchestra career in the future.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
Still waiting for results.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I purposely didn't apply to any other programs running during NYOC, so if I wasn't touring with NYOC, I would be spending the summer in my hometown practicing and finding a job.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
My proudest moment was when I received my invitation to perform in Carnegie Hall this May.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
NYOC Award of Excellence, the Lawrence Genser Music Scholarship through the University of Manitoba, full scholarship from the University of Manitoba, and the Allan McKean Scholarship for violin excellence at the University of Manitoba, as well as other smaller scholarships.
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
1st Prize in the 2015 American Protege International Piano and Strings Competition, 2nd Prize in the 2014 Enkor International Piano and Violin Competition, 2nd Prize in the 2015 Lawrence Genser Scholarship Competition, and smaller local awards.