01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I became very interested in becoming a drummer in elementary school when I first saw the jazz band perform. I had been playing violin at that point, and after doing both for a little while, it became clear that I was much more into percussion and drums
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
Aside from being an orchestral player, I hope to be able to affect whatever community I live in some sort of positive way through music. Moving to Saskatoon in the fall to play with the symphony there, I hope to apply some of my maybe "different" skill sets to either music education and performance over there. Either way, after having dedicated many years to developing my playing, I hope to be able to support myself primarily through doing what I love.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I love any aquatic sport or activity, but my biggest passion besides music is probably scuba diving/snorkeling. exploring the underwater world in any way is so exciting to me and I hope to be able to travel to some top spots in the world for diving some day.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
I arrange some things, espcecially more music of the pop world to classical instruments, but in terms of writing any original material down ever, not really.
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Ewazen Marimba Concerto
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
Performing Mahler 9 in the Edmonton concert hall -- and Vancouver Beach times!
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
Getting the lucky opportunity to tour China with an orchestra made up of amazing musicians, it was my first time ever playing with a professional sounding orchestra, and this is when I knew I wanted to play with orchestras. But ever since high school I have known that I would be pursuing music
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
As of right now I think it's the uncertainty. Up util now I have been a student in some way, and now I am moving to a new city in a new province. I am relatively inexperienced in the "real" world and that is intimidating to some regard
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
I participated last summer, and hope to have similar, and new experiences this summer
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
NYOC is an amazing orchestral training program. It is intense and jam packed with different playing opportunities and rehearsals. Touring Canada performing in different halls with like minded musicians is one of the best experiences an orchestral player can have, not to mention the preparation and experience it gives for playing with an orchestra in different settings.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
If I hadn't been accepted to NYOC this summer, I would have auditioned for the Boris Brott orchestra in Hamilton. So hopefully I would have been doing that as long as I had a successful audition. If not, I would probably be in Saskatoon trying to get my foot in the door!
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
Probably winning this Saskatoon job. No matter how many achievements one has throughout their academic career, I think there is nothing more satisfying (and solidifying of your confidence) than winning an orchestral job, no matter the scale. Orchestral auditions have always scared me, and after putting so much into the preparation, you have to be proud when it pays off.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
The NYOC Standard of Excellence Scholarship
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Graduate Excellence Fellowship Award 2013, 2014
Do you participate in any other performing or creative arts?/ Êtes-vous artiste dans un autre milieu que la musique (théâtre, arts visuels, etc.) ?
Sometimes I draw dolphins on car window-fog
Who is your favourite non-classical musician? / Quel est votre artiste (non classique) préféré ?
What has recently played on your Mp3? / Qu’écoutez-vous ces jours-ci sur votre Mp3?
Trevor Hall - Something for You
What is there about you that you think people might be surprised to know? / Y a-t-il quelque chose à votre propos qui est un peu surprenant ou hors de l’ordinaire?
Well there's a lot you don't know I guess.... I was a competitive trampoline coach and competitor myself from 2006-2009. Its a real sport.
What advice would you give young artists just starting out? / Quel conseil donneriez-vous aux jeunes artistes qui viennent de commencer?
Remember that your opinions count too stick to them (within reason). There are a lot of very strongly expressed opinions about music by musicians whether they are experienced or not and it can sometimes (even when it is not intended) make one insecure self-concsious or doubt their own feelings towards the music or music in general. Don't let it though!