01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
When I was faced with the task of choosing a second instrument (piano was my first) at the young age of eight, I had no idea what a wild ride I was in for. The sound of the bassoon called out to me, the dark, rich timber was the most attractive compared to other instruments. Plus, no one really wanted to play something that was taller than them, and I was totally up for the challenge.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
I think that becoming a professional bassoonist will always be my ultimate goal. Not only do I wish to be part of a world class orchestra, I would also love to pursue a solo career.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I have always loved anything art-related. I am known for my love for sketching, painting, and creating art pieces.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
I have never formally written my own music. However, starting at a young age with piano and now with my bassoon, I love to jot down short pieces and melodies that pop into my head. I would love the opportunity to learn composition.
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
There are so many wonderful classical musicians that wrote (or write) great music. But I would say Saint Saëns produced absolutely captivating music and Rachmaninoff gives me great excitement when I listen to him.
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
One of my all-time favorite romantic pieces is Andante e Rondo by Carl Maria Von Weber, and I also love the Bassoon Sonata, Op. 168 by Saint Saëns.
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Vivaldi Bassoon Concerto in E minor, RV484.
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I think that my upbringing and environment played a huge part in my decision of pursuing classical music. I grew up listening to my brother play on the piano, and soon entered the world of classical music at the age of three. My parents are not musicians, but they often took me to classical concerts and made sure that music was a constantly present throughout my childhood. Ultimately, I think my introverted personality but love for the stage also pushed me in the direction of music. I enjoy sharing the music I play and wish for the world to hear.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
My biggest challenge would be myself. I know that if I am not willing to put in the effort, time, and passion, I wouldn't be going anywhere. But if I do, at least I would have a chance in reaching my dreams and goals.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
I have wanted to join the NYOC for a while now. The amount of knowledge, opportunities, people, performances, and fun seemed to attract me toward this summer program.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
I believe that I will learn a whole lot through training and touring with the NYOC this summer. I'm looking forward to the intense training, lessons and performances.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Practicing my bassoon and playing around on my piano, making reeds (and breaking reeds), painting, running, going to the Stampede in Calgary since I used to go every year, and have a nice vacation in the Rockies.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
My proudest moment would be when I played a concerto with an orchestra for the first time. It was a breathtakingly exciting yet nerve-wracking experience, and I felt like I finally stepped into a whole new world of performing arts. As hard as it was for me to take everything in and absorb it all, that performance was one of the most enjoyable in my music career.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
- Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Youth Orchestra Scholarship - Kitchener-Waterloo Kiwanis Festival - Canadian Music Competition, National Round Scholarship - Symphony on the Bay Young Artists Competition Scholarship - RBC Concert scholarship - Boston University Tanglewood Institute Young Artists Wind Ensemble Program (declined)
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
- Toronto Sinfonietta Concerto Competition, Woodwinds 19 and under, First Prize