Eric Braley, QC
Eric Braley, QC
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
My usual answer is this: I played recorder, as did all my classmates, in Grade 3. I felt I was very good at the recorder and would have liked to continue, but I was forced to choose a band instrument the following year. As I was under the erroneous impression that the clarinet would be the instrument most like the recorder (when, in fact, it is the flute), this was the instrument I chose. The truthful answer is this: I have no idea, and I likely spun the above out of thin air after being asked constantly why I chose the clarinet. All I can say for certain is that I'm very glad I made the decision I did.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My primary goal is to contribute towards a richer, more just and enlightened society through the creation and teaching of art.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
My greatest passion is simply music in all its forms, so I enjoy attending concerts and festivals of all kinds, checking out the latest tip from a friend, and kicking back with a pair of headphones and the newest discovery. I also enjoy reading, cycling, running, hiking and pretty much every television show produced by David Simon.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
Favourite composer: Beethoven. Favourite performer: David Shifrin. (Sorry, Mr. Shifrin...)
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Too difficult to choose, but one of the concertos by W.A. Mozart or Carl Nielsen would do.
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
Another question to which I have no real answer. It would be more accurate to say I simply fell into the world of Classical music. Both my parents were professional musicians, I was "good at the clarinet" (only now do I begin to understand what that really means) and performing was something I enjoyed. The better question would be: "Why do you STILL pursue Classical music?" To this, I have a much better answer.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
While there are many different careers that exist in this field, I am not sure whether any of them would allow me to fully realize my personal and professional goals.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Frankly: cost for opportunity.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
I hope to learn a great deal in a short time from the excellent faculty and my inspiring peers.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
Yes: National Arts Center Young Artists Program, Atlantic Music Festival and Festival Orford.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I would likely be participating in the Atlantic Music Festival, which also runs approximately late June through mid-August. If not, I would be teaching at the Morse Summer Music Academy of the Yale School of Music, an intensive summer music program for New Haven schoolchildren that runs the month of July, and spending time with friends and family in Montréal.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
My acceptance into the Yale School of Music.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Keith Wilson Scholarship and Yale School of Music fellowship.
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Winner of the Yale School of Music Chamber Music Competition.