Matthieu Dupont, BC
Matthieu Dupont, BC
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
I was turning 8 years old.
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I listened to the harp, for the first time in a music course for children at home. It appeared so magical and graceful. I was young but when I heard it I knew it was the right instrument for me. Since then, I am still in love with my instrument.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My biggest wish is to be a professional harpist. Being able to make it as a living. All I want is to play music! I started giving private lessons and so far I enjoy it. Playing in an ensemble like chamber music or orchestra is part of my goals. I am keen on working with other instruments and I would like to get a position in an orchestra or an opera house.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I enjoy working out and staying fit. I love traveling and discover new places. As I come from France, I have never been to the US and I would like to explore that country soon. Browsing and shopping are my guilty pleasures…when I can afford the time!
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
Debussy, Ravel, Fauré but more contemporary Caroline Lizotte, Heidi Krutzen, Bernard Andrès…
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
I like so many pieces of music. I will say Fauré, Une Châtelaine en sa Tour (for harp).
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Last January, I enjoyed performing the Boïeldieu's Concerto for Harp with piano reduction.
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I always knew that music will be an essential part of my life. When I was in grade 10 I was hesitating between being an English Teacher in France or pursuing classical music in the professional way. It took me two years before making a decision. And still now I am sure of my choices. I am proud of making music. I came to Canada where I can conciliate my true love with the English language while I am living my passion.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
Trying to fit my harp in a decent-shaped car! Finding my place as a musician and being able to make it as a living. But I am not pessimistic and I do believe in positive energies. I am always ready to take up a challenge and eager to make my dreams come true.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Heidi Krutzen, my current teacher recommended me NYO when I asked for an orchestral experience.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
I am sure that I will grow my playing and my musical experience with great musicians and coaches. I am really excited to be part of NYO Canada this year.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
I didn't apply for any other ones.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I would certainly apply for a summer job at home or in Paris. Definitely working on new solo repertoire while spending time with my fiancé, my family and my friends. And maybe playing for weddings. In short, I would keep myself busy.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
My first year master's recital finale. I played the Danses for harp and string quartet by Debussy. Since I started the harp, I wanted to play this piece. I listened to it so many times and I told myself that one day I would play it. And I recently did. It was an amazing and unforgettable moment. My string quartet and I were really connected.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
St John's College Itoko Muraoka Fellowship from the University of BC.
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
International Tuition Award and the Faculty of Arts Graduate Award from the University of BC.