Joanna Gorska, ON
Joanna Gorska, ON
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
The violin has been in my family for generation. It started with my great-grandfather, who then passed it on to his son, until it was finally my turn. Because my ancestors lived in Easter Europe in the 20th century, they went through a lot of turbulence that never allowed them to pursue the violin as a profession. It would be therefore very agreeable for me to fulfill a wish that has been in my family for generations.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
I would like to become a professional musician, as a violinist and composer. Upon finishing my violin performance undergrad at U of T I would like to go on to pursue my Master's degree at Julliard. I am also very interested in history, and am pursuing it as a major at the faculty of Arts and Sciences at U of t as part of my double degree.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I pursue ballet lessons, and I am very fond of reading. My favourite authors include Dostoyevsky, Sartre and de Beauvoir. I also happen to fancy travelling, and traipsing about museums.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Shostakovich Quartet no. 8 second mov.
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Wieniawski violin concerto no. 1
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I always found music to be the most influential art form, that has the biggest impact on one psyche. Classical music has a refinement about that is lacking in other genres, and requires the most thought and effort not only to compose, but to perform. It is also intrinsically linked with history, which gives it another dimension of depth
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
My biggest challenge in my pursuit of a career in music is my schedule. Unfortunately, certain mandatary classes one is obliged to take interfere with my practicing schedule, but an adequate amount of will power is capable of overcoming these trifling obstacles.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
I heard it was a great program, and Portugal was too enticing to resist.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
I adore performing in orchestras; there is a significant difference between being a passive listener as opposed to a performer that can literally feel the music due to vibrations. Playing in an orchestra really helps gain a deeper understanding of certain composers and their genres, as well as how orchestration works (I dabble in composing).
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
No, I didn't apply to any other music programs.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Not sure, I was going to decide in March/February when the results of the auditions were announced, but it never came to that so I didn't make any other plans.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
Getting first in the strings 17 category in the national final of the Canadian Music Competition in 2015 was definitely the highlight of my music career.