Lucy Song, QC
Lucy Song, QC
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
Originally I wanted to play clarinet because when my band teacher demonstrated on the various instruments, he played jazz on clarinet. I thought it would be the most fun instrument, but my parents thought a flute would be more appropriate for a little girl. My grandmother sent me a flute and though since then I've learned clarinet is not just for boys, I've also learned that flutes are shinier and have no reeds to deal with.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My goal is the same as any musician, which is to learn to play a range of music as beautifully as possible, always improving and being creative. Besides for the unattainable perfection we practice for, some of my tangible goals are to play in a professional orchestra, organize a frequently performing chamber group, and to make music easily accessible in the community so that the next generation can appreciate it as much as I do. Hopefully in the future music will be a larger part of public education, just as English and chemistry are. In order to help this along, I hope to be creative and think out of the box in all concerts I plan.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
Reading/writing poetry, drawing and painting, kayaking, playing video games, watching TV, thinking often about bunnies and parakeets.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
Rarely, but hopefully more in the future.
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
It really depends on the day!
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
At the moment I'm really enjoying the Franck violin sonata.
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
Playing Avalon with everyone! I'm hoping that we'll have a big group again this year.
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
The realization that I couldn't not pursue classical music. My family was originally very against it, and I've always been very focused on my academic studies so it should have been easy to do anything else. I couldn't let go of the idea though, and I'm finally allowed to pursue it fully.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
Having belief in myself while being exposed to the vast number of great flutists today. We can hear practically everyone on the internet, so it's difficult to truly believe that you have something original to contribute, but that belief is really important in order to be successful.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
It was a great experience last year
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
At NYO Canada, I will have many weeks to just focus on my orchestral playing. I will be taught by experts and coached in chamber music as well as excerpts. In addition, I'll meet some of the best young players in Canada, so I can learn from them. It'll be great having a space and time to just work on music and travel with friends.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I would be working full-time, and hopefully practicing a lot and playing chamber music with friends. Enjoying the brief respite from Montreal winter.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
When I summoned the courage to take a leap of faith and pursue what I love, even though I may never have a decent job or wages and will definitely be seen as less successful than all of my high school classmates. What teachers/parents/colleague thought of me was always important to me in high school, so I think I should be most proud of the time when I let that go.