01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
12 years old
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
When I was about 9 years old my brother had just started the trombone in school and I thought it was really cool when he played with the school's stage band. So when I got to grade 7 in middle school I thought it would be really cool to pick the trumpet since it would be the trumpet that would get a lot of the big solos!
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
I would like to be in a professional orchestra one day.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I love assembling jigsaw puzzles, biking, and playing games on my Xbox One with my friends.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
I don't but I would love to in the future!
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
So many to choose from! Perhaps my favourite is Maurice André.
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
It's too hard to pick...I love late romantic and early twentieth century music!
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
The Peskin Concerto - not the most popular but really good!
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I went to an arts high school so I had a lot friends who were into music. But I was also very interested in Math and Physics, two of my favourite subjects in school. So in grade 12, I decided that either I would go into music performance or I would study aerospace engineering. But in the end I decided that I wanted to go into a more artistic line of work.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
There's a lot of ups and downs and so it can be very difficult to always believe in yourself. I can also be a little obsessive so it doesn't really help during the "down" moments. My teacher Andrew has to keep reminding me to look at the big picture and to be more patient.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Great music, great people, and GREAT TOUR!
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
I feel like I will learn a lot about playing in an orchestra. I am also really looking forward to the chamber music session! Matt Ross and Ben Promane who were in NYO Canada last year told me that that's one of the best parts of the session! Also, I am really looking forward to meeting new people and new musicians and learning from them too.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
The Orford Academy Orchestra
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Probably just practising, building a few more puzzles to add to my collection and crushing online gamers in Brawlhalla with my friend Felix!
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
There were a lot of good moments, especially this year. One of my favourite moments was the Royal Conservatory Orchestra's performance of Mahler 5. Shout out to Jon, Matt, and Lisa! But I would have to say my happiest moment, was my Second Year Recital this past May. It was my first solo recital and I was really nervous but I played the best I could have and it was one of the most enjoyable performances of my career so far. If you would like to check it out, the link is here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuBQQWtUVTA
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
I currently have a scholarship to attend the Glenn Gould School.