Jonathan Werk, ON
Jonathan Werk, ON
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I attended a summer program for beginner band instruments, and upon trying each of them, ended up on the oboe. Since then, I've fallen in love with the unique personality and character of the instrument.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My goal is to make myself available to play and perform in as many dimensions as possible - orchestral music, chamber music, new music and alternate genres including playing folk music for dancers, or playing on interesting recording projects. The bigger the variety of music I am playing, the happier I will be.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
Playing traditional and folk music, dancing, bicycling, hiking, arranging and composing
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Chaconne from Partita no. 2 for Violin, by J.S. Bach
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
J.S. Bach Concerto for Oboe and Violin in C minor (favourite of all oboe rep: Poulenc oboe sonata)
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
Initially, I decided to pursue engineering instead of music, but after completing my Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, I made some important self-discoveries and turned around to go back to school for music. Playing and listening to classical music has always been a large part of my life, but while I was studying engineering I had to cut back and it left me hollow. When I finally let go of the engineering to make room for the music again, I found my balance. It has been an incredibly fulfilling experience, and there is no question in my mind that the field of music is where I belong.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
We all have to be able to find our niche. If we follow the traditional model, there are more musicians than there is work available for us. The challenge is for us to create our own opportunities, all while striving for pursuit of excellence on our instruments.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
NYO Canada has a reputation as an excellent orchestra, training program, and educational institution
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
Not only are there inspiring teachers on the faculty, but there will be dozens of teachers around us within the orchestra itself. I look forward to working with and learning from all of the stellar musicians in the orchestra. The experience will provide wisdom, friendship, inspiration, and motivation that we will carry with us into our own individual futures.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
Domaine Forget, Orford
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Freelancing, busking, composing, making recordings, playing didgeridoo, and finding excuses to travel.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
At the end of my final recital of my Bachelor's of Music, I had some friends from outside of the university community join me on stage to play a short waltz. I thought it rounded out my recital perfectly and gave it a truly personal touch.