Nadia Petriw, YT
Nadia Petriw, YT
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
4 years old
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I can't remember a time when I didn't want to play violin. I was always performing and loved fiddle music from a very young age.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
My primary goal is to finish my undergraduate degree in Brandon, Manitoba and Queen's College in New York (where I am transferring to in September 2015). After I finish my degree I would like to perform as part of a large orchestra, pursue music therapy and teach privately.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I love to read books and bake (especially cupcakes and pies). I also play piano and enjoy accompanying.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
I have written fiddle tunes and arranged music before, but usually it's for an occasion of some kind.
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
Currently Hilary Hahn, but it varies depending on my repertoire and who I'm listening to.
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
I don't think I can pick just one. Right now my top three are Ravel's String Quartet, Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole and the Hobbit soundtracks.
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Tchaikovsky's or Brahms' Violin Concertos. They're both too inspiring to choose one.
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I have always admired the classical genre for persevering through so many changes in music and society. I find classical music especially appealing as I enjoy finding unknown repertoire, and looking for the composer's intentions. I also love to bring my own musical and stylistic ideas to the performance of common works.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
One of my biggest challenges will be consistency and always playing my best no matter the circumstances. As well as presenting music that is appealing to my audience and is still interesting and rewarding for myself.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
I have wanted to be a part of NYOC since I was 10 and first found out about it.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
My University orchestra is quite small, and so I hope to gain experience in a larger, more professional setting.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
I was accepted in an alternate position for the Youth Orchestra of the Americas and l'Orchestre de la Francophonie.
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
Most likely at home, working and spending time with my parents and younger brother, or attending a different summer program.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
When I finished my 3rd year credit recital. My repertoire included Bach's E major Partita, Adaskin's Sonatine Baroque and Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole. 30 measures into Lalo, my final piece, one of the mics that was recording my recital fell onto me. I managed to recover from the shock, restarted and used the extra adrenaline to fuel my performance and it was my best performance to date.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Pat Nadler Voullaire Memorial Award in Music (Brandon University), John A. Krahn Memorial Scholarship (Brandon Festival of the Arts), Mary Smart Development Fund (Brandon University)
18. What awards, if any, have you won in the past year?/ Quels prix, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
Inducted into the Brandon University President's Honour Society. (2012 and 2013)