Wennie Wei, BC
Wennie Wei, BC
01. How old were you when you started playing your instrument?/ Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
02. Why did you choose your instrument?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I heard the sound of a viola since I was younger due to my sister being in an orchestra and have always wanted to play it but was too small to start off with viola so I started with violin.
03. Describe some of your professional goals./Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
Some of my professional goals are to become part of a professional orchestra and also teach either privately or at an institution. However, my main goal is to be a part of a renowned chamber group and to perform for people in many cities.
04. What are your other interests and/or hobbies?/ Quels sont vos autres intérêts ou passe-temps?
I'm a very hyperactive and energetic person so I feel the need to shed my energy in any form and the thing I most enjoy for shedding that energy is sports and working out. Sports wise, I love to play ultimate frisbee (although some may not see it as a sport). I played in my high school team and we've placed in provincials as well as international tournaments made for youth. And for conditioning and strength I really like long-distance running and weight-lifting. No pain, no gain.
05. Do you write/arrange your own music?/ Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
I sort of just tinker around on the piano and improvise sometimes but I don't write anything down so it gets forgotten after a while.
06. Who is your favourite classical musician?/ Quel est votre artiste (musicien) préféré ?
Tabea Zimmerman and basically the entire Cleveland Quartet.
07. What is your favourite piece of music?/ Quel est votre morceau préféré ?
Grieg Piano Concerto in A minor and Mahler Symphony No. 2 (especially the first and last movement)
08. What is your favourite concerto for your instrument?/ Quel est votre concerto préféré pour votre instrument?
Sonata per la Grand by Paganini
09. For returning members: What is your fondest memory from a previous session and/or tour?/ Pour participants vétérans : Quels sont vos souvenirs préférés de la session ou tournée précédente de l’ONJC ?
Late night mafia games, trips to target, ultimate frisbee in the dark, exploring our friends' home cities, the list is basically endless.
10. What made you decide to pursue classical music?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
It never fails to amaze me how one sniff can vary in so many different ways and musicians can understand exactly what the other person is thinking musically. One subtle body movement can tell us a lot about what goes on in a persons mind during a piece. It amazes me as an audience member how the feelings that we can't describe with words can be felt by vicariously through music. These are the reasons why I think classical music is so important and why I decided to pursue it.
11. What do you think is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music?/ Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
I think the biggest challenge all musicians can face is lack of confidence and also beating ourselves up for a small slip.
12. Why did you choose to apply to NYO Canada?/ Pourquoi avez-vous choisi de poser votre candidature pour NYO Canada?
Last summer was an incredible summer for me and I wanted to re-live it again with old friends as well as new friends. Also, NYO Canada is an impeccable orchestra that I can't wait to hear and play in.
13. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in NYO Canada?/ Comment bénéficierez-vous de votre participation dans le programme de NYO Canada?
Being surrounded by people that are as passionate about something as you are is extremely encouraging. I think the atmosphere itself will just make me more excited to practice and make music which is always a good thing.
14. Were you accepted to any other summer music programs this year?/ Avez-vous été accepté/e à tout autre programme musical estival cette année?
15. If you weren’t touring with the NYO Canada, what would you be doing during the summer?/ Si vous n’étiez pas en tournée avec NYO Canada, que feriez-vous cet été?
I would probably be working and just practicing a lot.
16. What was the proudest moment of your music career thus far?/ Jusqu’ici, quel est le moment de votre carrière musicale qui vous a apporté le plus de fierté?
That awkward moment when one of us forgot a huge repeat but we miraculously all knew where each other were and the transition was seamless.
17. What scholarships, if any, have you been awarded in the past year?/ Quelles bourses, le cas échéant, avez-vous remporté au cours de la dernière année?
The government gave me a grant cause I'm a poor university student that did well on her English provincial.