Guelph, Ontario, CANADA
1. Age / âge
2. Hometown / ville
4. How old were you when you started playing your instrument? / Quel âge aviez-vous quand vous avez commencé à jouer votre instrument ?
5. Why did you choose your instrument / Pourquoi avez-vous choisi cet instrument ?
I began the process of selecting an instrument by performing a careful analysis of the neurological benefits of musical study with a sociological overlay. I then compared my genetic predisposition towards physical qualities with the demands of each individual instrument, and then, realizing that the execution of such an analysis would likely pose insurmountable challenges for a four-year-old child, I left the decision entirely up to my parents. I think that it turned out for the better, though!
6. What are your professional goals? / Décrivez quelques-unes de vos ambitions professionnelles.
While I've applied to study music at several universities, I haven't made any conclusive decisions yet (only inconclusive ones). I'm also considering a career in biology or history, or, if in doubt, I can default on my kazoo-playing capabilities.
7. What made you decide to pursue classical music? / Pourquoi avez-vous choisi une formation en musique classique ?
I would say that over the years, music has become an integral part of my life, to the point where I can't imagine its absence... but the truth is that my career as a human cannon ball never really took off...
8. What is the biggest challenge you face in your pursuit of a career in music? / Quel est le plus grand obstacle à surmonter afin de poursuivre une carrière en musique ?
The Stanley Cup Payoffs and the UEFA Champions League.
9. How do you feel you will benefit from participation in the NYOC? / Comment pensez-vous que votre participation à lONJC puisse vous aider?
I've really enjoyed orchestral playing in the past, and have often found that it's a great way to meet colleagues from the music community.
Do you write or arrange your own music? / Êtes-vous compositeur ou arrangeur de votre propre musique ?
Do you participate in any other performing or creative arts? Do you participate in any other performing or creative arts? / Êtes-vous artiste dans un autre milieu que la musique (théâtre, arts visuels, etc.) ?
What are your interests outside classical music / Avez-vous d’autres intérêts à part la musique classique ?
Soccer, and, to a lesser extent, hockey. I've also always been interested in biology and history.
Who is your favourite classical musician? / Quel est votre artiste (classique) préféré ?
Who is your favourite non-classical musician? / Quel est votre artiste (non classique) préféré ?
What has recently played on your Mp3? / Qu’écoutez-vous ces jours-ci sur votre Mp3?
Brahms Piano Quintet Op. 34 in f minor
If you weren't touring with the NYOC what would you be doing with your summer? / Si vous ne faisiez pas partie de l' ONJC que feriez-vous cet été?
I would work either as a lifeguard or as a soccer referee. I would also look for an alternative music program.
What is there about you that you think people might be surprised to know? / Y a-t-il quelque chose à votre propos qui est un peu surprenant ou hors de l’ordinaire?
I cannot actually play the kazoo.
What advice would you give young artists just starting out? / Quel conseil donneriez-vous aux jeunes artistes qui viennent de commencer?
Play music in as many ways as you can think of, and always look for opportunities to play chamber or orchestral works. Do it for yourself, and enjoy it!